The Church of St. Mary’s in Pyrton is a Grade II* Listed building. Parts of the building date back to 987 AC although it has needed structural repairs and rebuilding over time, as well as enlargement in the mid nineteenth century. In 1115, William Fitznigel, Lord or Pyrton, granted the church to his foundation, the Augustinian priory at Runcorn, Cheshire. When the priory was dissolved in 1546 the church, parsonage and about 115 acres of land was granted to Christchurch College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1856 by J.C.Buckler, but parts of the 12th century building sill remain, including the south doorway and the chancel arch, and these include decorations rarely found in Oxfordshire.
The churchyard is now managed as a ‘Living Sanctuary’ and there are two listed late eighteenth century chest tombs in the churchyard.
In 1991 parishioners held a fund-raising programme for the refurbishment of the Church of St.Mary and between 2012-2014 a further programme of restoration was undertaken.