Planning applications can be viewed via the South Oxfordshire District Council Planning Register

The Planning Portal:

The Planning Portal is provided by The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and provides a wealth of information on planning and building regulations. If you are intending to make changes to your property, whether it be to build an extension, erect a garden shed, demolish a building or fit solar panels on your roof, all the information you need is on this portal. There is an interactive guide which allows you to see what the planning requirements are, if any, for your project. To get to the portal just click the logo below.


Applications for Planning Permission:

Planning permission can only be granted by the planning department of South Oxfordshire District Council and all planning applications must be submitted to them. Applications will sometimes be dealt with by the planning committee but can be dealt with by a planning officer under delegated powers. An application and any objections thereto, will be considered only in respect of planning regulations. However, if the planning committee or planning officer feels that there are other issues to be taken into account such as building, water or highways regulations, these may referred to the relevant department or authority. As a result of this, even if an application is given permission, it may be subject to conditions laid down under these other regulations. Persons who may be affected by a development have the right to object but only on grounds of planning regulations, although they may raise issues covered by building, water, highway or other regulations so that the relevant departments or authorities can be made aware. Objections to planning applications need to be made in writing to the relevant planning officer by the advertised deadline.

Role of the Parish Council in Planning Applications

All applications for planning permission are notified to the Parish Council and will be discussed at a Parish Council meeting. Prior to this meeting a parish councillor will have inspected the planning application documents, visited the site of the proposed development and, where possible, spoken with nearby affected residents to identify any problems or issues arising. It must be noted that the Parish Council does not have the power to grant or refuse planning permission.

Works on Trees and Hedges – A Primer


Some trees are protected by tree preservation orders (TPOs), which means that, in general, you need South Oxfordshire District Council’s consent for ANY works via a planning application. 

In addition, there are controls over many other trees in Conservation Areas, which covers most of the village of Pyrton. Here there is legal protection of all trees with a trunk/stem diameter greater that 75mm at 1.5m above ground level. Again South Oxfordshire District Council’s consent via a planning application is required.

If you are unsure about the status of trees which you intend to prune or fell (or you simply require further information) you should contact South Oxfordshire District Council.


The use and nature of hedges can be controlled through planning conditions and legal covenants.

You don’t normally need permission to plant a hedge in your garden. And there are no laws that say how high you can grow your hedge. 

However, you are responsible for looking after any hedge on your property and for making sure it is not a nuisance to anyone else.

If a hedge does adversely affect the owners/occupiers of an adjoining domestic property then they may be able to take action through the High Hedges complaints system introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. The complaints system specifies the type of hedge and the adverse effects that it covers and, if you have concerns about the effect a hedge is having on your property you should contact SODC to see whether the High Hedges complaints system is applicable to your circumstances.